Before you get started
Information needed in the new form (ITR12T)
When and how to complete an ITR12T?
The trustee must complete and send an Income Tax Return for the Trust annually to SARS.
To complete the ITR12T, the following relevant material (supporting documents) are needed:
- All certificates and documents relating to income and deductions
- Financial statements and/or administration accounts
- Proof of payment of any tax credits
- Particulars of assets and liabilities.
Top Tip: Need a Source Code?
Supporting schedules needs to be filled in and sent with the ITR12T, if the trust:
- Was involved in mining or mining operations as defined in section 1 of the Income Tax Act, fill in GEN-001 Mining schedule
- Held, with any connected person to the trust (e.g. a trust beneficiary), at least 10% of the rights or voting rights in any Controlled Foreign Company (CFC), fill in the:
Please note: A function will be available on eFiling to upload the supporting schedules.
Top Tip: The relevant material (supporting documents) used to fill in the ITR12T, must be kept for a period of five years.
The ITR12T can only be sent:
- Using eFiling. If you aren’t registered for eFiling follow our simple steps. This will allow you to complete and send your ITR12T online in a secure environment 24/7.
- At a SARS branch. Should you visit a SARS branch for assistance, you will need to fill in the fields needed before going to the branch.
Top Tip: Requesting the ITR12T to be posted will no longer be an option available to you.
Depending on how you send your ITR12T to SARS, be sure you know the due date. Previous due dates were:
- Manual/postal submissions - 30 September 2016
- Electronically at a SARS branch (provisional and non-provisional) – 25 November 2016
- Non-provisional taxpayers who use eFiling – 25 November 2016
- Provisional taxpayers who use eFiling – 31 January 2017
Note: New dates will be communicated when it becomes available.