Register as a tax practitioner
Who should register as a tax practitioner?
A natural person who:
- Provides advice to any other person about the application of a tax Act; or
- Completes or assists with the completion of a return for another person
- For more information look at the Registration Process for Tax Practitioners.
Please note - No more assistance to unregistered Tax Practitioners
From 8 September 2014 Tax Practitioners who aren’t registered with both a Recognised Controlling Body (RCB) and SARS can no longer be assisted.
What are the requirements in order to register as a tax practitioner?
To register as a tax practitioner, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must belong to or fall under the jurisdiction of a Recognised Controlling Body as referred to in s 240A of the Tax Administration Act.
- Have the minimum qualifications and experience set by your Recognised Controlling Body.
- Have no criminal convictions for the offences described in s 240(3) of the Tax Administration Act.
- Participate in continuous professional development programmes set by your Recognised Controlling Body.
You should now be registered as a practitioner, but if you are not as yet, you need to:
Log onto eFiling at www.sarsefiling.co.za
and register as an eFiler. Once registered as an eFiler you can register as a tax practitioner online. (You do not need to send any returns on eFiling even if you have registered as an eFiler, and you can therefore register as an eFiler simply for purposes of registering as a tax practitioner)
For more information on the recognised Controlling Bodies, click here.
Tax Practitioners have a dedicated Call Centre for specific taxpayer related queries. Dial 0860 12 12 19 to use this service.