Tax and Government Employees

We have highlighted some key areas which are relevant to government institutions.
Travel Allowances are given to employees where employees need to travel for business purposes. Travel allowances can be a fixed amount or it can be used to reimburse expenses. To see the travel codes that can be used on your employee’s tax certificate (IRP5), please consult the Guide for Employers In Respect of Allowances
We have noticed that three travel codes above are appearing on some tax certificates (IRP5) which shows that these travel allowances are not being treated correctly by employers. The effect of this is that the employee faces a hardship when filing their tax return.
Employers need to make sure that allowances given to employees are being taxed correctly.
Find out more in our fringe benefits guide.
Government Employees and Filing of Returns
Top Tip: You need to submit your personal income tax returns on time, to find out more please visit our page on Tax Season.

SARS has introduced administrative penalties when people fail to submit personal income tax returns. To see how penalties escalate click here.
Last Updated: 18/10/2018 5:03 PM     print this page
SARS eFiling eFiling Login eFiling Register Now eFiling Forgot Password eFiling Forgot Username E@syFile