Register as a tax practitioner

Who should register as a tax practitioner?

A natural person who:
  • Provides advice to any other person about  the application of a tax Act; or
  • Completes or assists with the completion of a return for another person
  • For more information look at the Registration Process for Tax Practitioners.

Please note - No more assistance to unregistered Tax Practitioners
From 8 September 2014 Tax Practitioners who aren’t registered with both a Recognised Controlling Body (RCB) and SARS can no longer be assisted.

What are the requirements in order to register as a tax practitioner?

To register as a tax practitioner, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You must belong to or fall under the jurisdiction of a Recognised Controlling Body as referred to in s 240A of the Tax Administration Act.
  • Have the minimum qualifications and experience set by your Recognised Controlling Body.
  • Have no criminal convictions for the offences described in s 240(3) of the Tax Administration Act.
  • Participate in continuous professional development programmes set by your Recognised Controlling Body.

You should now be registered as a practitioner, but if you are not as yet, you need to:

Log onto eFiling at and register as an eFiler. Once registered as an eFiler you can register as a tax practitioner online. (You do not need to send any returns on eFiling even if you have registered as an eFiler, and you can therefore register as an eFiler simply for purposes of registering as a tax practitioner)

More information

For more information on the recognised Controlling Bodies, click here.

Tax Practitioners have a dedicated Call Centre for specific taxpayer related queries. Dial 0800 00 7277 to use this service.
Last Updated: 27/06/2017 11:46 AM     print this page
SARS eFiling eFiling Login eFiling Register Now eFiling Forgot Password eFiling Forgot Username E@syFile

 Top FAQs

What would disqualify me from registering as a tax practitioner?
If you do not belong to or fall under the jurisdiction of a Recognised Controlling Body; and If you have been removed from a related profession for serious misconduct or if you are guilty of an offence described in s 240(3) of the TAAct.

What do I need to do if my controlling body is not recognised by SARS?
As it is a compulsory requirement for all tax practitioners to belong to a Recognised Controlling Body, you are required to register as a member with one of the listed Recognised Controlling Bodies

How can the Recognition as a Controlling Body Registration (RRC01) form be submitted?
The original signed RRC01 together with the required supporting documents must be posted or delivered to the SARS Tax Oractitioner Unit at the following address:

What are the three SARS POA forms provided?
The three SARS POA forms provided are:- TPPOA - Special Power of Attorney to Tax Practitioner :-ASPOA - Authority on Special Power of Attorney by Tax Practitioner

How do I search for a taxpayer listed on my eFiling profile?
You can click on the taxpayer list dropdown and select the taxpayer or you may complete search criteria to search for a specific taxpayer.