SARS eFiling is an online platform for the submission of returns and declarations and other related services. This service allows taxpayers, tax practitioners, traders and businesses to register and submit returns and declarations, make payments and perform a number of other interactions with SARS in a secure online environment.
Taxpayers registered for eFiling can engage with SARS online for the submission of returns and declarations and payments in respect of taxes, duties, levies and contributions.
Service offerings available – No need to go to a Branch office:
- Enquire on debt outstanding and make a payment
- Enquire on returns outstanding
- Tax Compliance Status
- Notice of Registration (IT150)
- VAT Notice of Registration
- Filing your Income Tax Return
- Update personal details (including Bank Details)
- Request Statement of Account
- Register for Income Tax (Completed by your employer on eFiling)
- Submission of Supporting Documents for an audit case
- Lodge a Dispute
- Tax Product Registration (incl. Tax Number Registration)
- Tax Directive Management
- Lodge a complaint
- Username Retrieval and Password Reset
If you are not an eFiler, click here to register.
- 26 April 2021 – Enhancements to Payments on eFiling
The Guide on the Payment Advice Notice functionality on eFiling was updated with changes to the Payments screen to include the ‘Awaiting Authorisation’ tab on eFiling. The purpose of this document is to assist taxpayers to obtain a payment advice notice on eFiling in order to ensure that payments are made correctly and allocated to SARS. See the Guide on the Payment Advice Notice functionality on eFiling for more information.
- 26 April 2021 – Cancellation of Payments on eFiling
The Guide on how to submit your Individual Income tax return via eFiling was updated to show how to cancel a payment on eFiling. This guide is to assist taxpayers/tax practitioners in filing an Income tax return for individuals via eFiling. Describing also how to log in to eFiling, file/submit an Income tax return and request a correction via eFiling amongst others. See the Guide on how to submit your Individual Income tax return via eFiling for more information
- 26 April 2021 – Enhancements to the Managing of Tax Types
The Guide on how to register for eFiling and manage your user profile was updated to include the new function on how to Manage Tax Types and Practitioner configuration. The purpose of this document is to assist clients to register for eFiling and manage their eFiling profiles. For more information, see the Guide on how to register for eFiling and manage your user profile.
- 17 August 2020 – Notifications from SARS to see the progress of your audit case
SARS will now send you, step-by-step progress notification of your Personal Income Tax (PIT), Value Added Tax (VAT), Company Income Tax (CIT) and Trust Compliance Audit cases. These can be viewed via eFiling or the SARS MobiApp (PIT Only). You are now able to view at which stage your case is e.g. Supporting Documents received, case allocated to Auditor, Audit finalised etc.
Additionally, SARS will issue real time automated SMS and email notification updates, as your case moves from one step to the next.
SARS encourages Individual Taxpayers, Tax Practitioners, Registered Traders and Vendors to use our digital channels for improved communication and efficient service delivery. This will also avoid you having to hold the line for our Contact Centre or visit a SARS branch.
- 1 August 2020 – 2020 Filing Season new features
- Need to verify your banking details? Send us your details via email.
- Send us an online query if:
- you forgot your tax reference number
- want to upload supporting documents
- submit a payment allocation.
- Use our eBooking system before you visit a SARS Branch
- Received an auto assessment SMS from SARS and need to know more?
- 8 May 2020 – Two Factor Authentication and Passwordless
Two Factor and Passwordless authentication is an additional security features which allow an eFiling user to access their eFiling profile using push notification technology to a smart device:
- Two Factor Authentication: Allows the user to access their eFiling profile by making use of their username, password and a push notification sent to the SARS Mobile Application, on their smart device.
- Passwordless Authentication: Allows the user access to their eFiling profile by making use of their username and a push notification sent to the SARS Mobile Application, on their smart device.
Please note, to make use of this security feature ensure that:
- The SARS Mobile Application is installed on your smart device and
- Your smart device is be enrolled as the primary device on your eFiling profile.
- 7 May 2020 – Enhancement to Tax Type Transfer Process
The Tax Type Transfer process for Personal Income Tax and Provisional Tax has been enhanced to enable ease of transfer of tax types between taxpayers, tax practitioners and registered representatives on eFiling.
With this enhancement the approval lies directly with the Taxpayer (owner of the PIT) or the Registered Representative of the PIT, to transfer the tax type to the requestor.
The taxpayer/registered representative for that tax type will receive a sms/ email and must approve the transfer request by:
- Visit the homepage of this website, www.sars.gov.za
- Select ‘Manage Tax Type Transfer’ in the SARS eFiling space
- Complete the online form by capturing ID/ Passport number and tax reference number
- An OTP will be sent to the taxpayer to capture
- An online POA will be presented to the taxpayer to ‘Accept’ or ‘Decline’ the transfer request.
A notification will be sent to the requestor once the taxpayer has ‘Accepted’ or ‘Declined’ the transfer request.
- Transfers for PIT are no longer dependent on the holding user releasing
- Transfers will be immediately cancelled if we are not able to verify the identity of the requested taxpayer.
A tax type transfer will be disallowed if the requestor is not a registered tax practitioner or the registered representative for the requesting taxpayer.
Also see the FAQ on How do I initiate a tax type transfer on eFiling.
- 28 March 2020 – VAT vendors can now request and obtain a VAT Notice of Registration on eFiling if they are registered on SARS eFiling
Follow these easy steps:1. Login to SARS eFiling2. Go to the Organizations main menu3. Click SARS Registered details on the side menu4. Select Notice of Registration
5. Select VAT
Please note that you must be registered on SARS eFiling in order to use this service.
- 27 March 2020 – Auto registration for Personal Income Tax
When you register for SARS eFiling for the first time and you do not yet have a personal income tax number, SARS will automatically register you and issue a tax reference number. Note that you must have a valid South African ID.
Follow these easy steps:1. Login to SARS eFiling2. Select ‘Register Now’3. Follow the prompts4. Request a Notice of Registration – it will reflect your income tax registration number
You can also register for SARS eFiling on the SARS MobiApp and follow the same steps.
How to obtain a Notice of Registration for Individuals on eFiling:
Follow these easy steps:
1. Login to SARS eFiling
2. Click on the Notice of Registration icon on the top right side of the screen
3. Click on Request new or view