A total of 11877 taxpayers have been attended to and 8 838 tax returns were filed on these three days.
It should be noted that SARS will prioritise income tax queries on Saturdays to help taxpayers comply with the tax season deadline of Friday, 24 November 2017, which is a mere six weeks away.
Hours have been extended at selected branches in an effort to reduce queues at SARS branches on week days and provide taxpayers with more convenience.
Extended hours at selected SARS branches run between 08:00 and 13:00 on Saturdays, and will continue until 18 November 2017. The arrangement commenced on 30 September 2017.
*It is important to note that the extended operational hours do not apply to all SARS branches.
Other filing channels available
Taxpayers can also submit their Income Tax Returns (ITR12) online via SARS eFiling at www.sarsefiling.co.za and have access to the Help-You-eFile service which allows the taxpayer to interact with a SARS agent telephonically while completing their tax return. The SARS eFiling App and SARS eFiling MobiSite, which also caters for the visually impaired, is available for those who wish to use their mobile devices. Taxpayers can contact the SARS Contact Centre at 0800 00 7277 before opting to visit a branch to resolve their tax queries.
Bring supporting documents
SARS would like to remind taxpayers to bring the necessary supporting documents to avoid frustration and these include the following:
- Your banking particulars
- Your IRP5/IT3(a) certificate(s)
- Certificates [IT3(b)] that you received for any investment income
- Details of medical expenses paid by you and not covered by your medical scheme
- Medical aid certificate for details of medical aid contributions made that do not appear on your IRP5/IT3(a) certificate(s)
- Completed confirmation of diagnosis of disability form (ITR-DD), if applicable
- Information about your retirement annuity contributions
- Details of business travel (if you received a travel allowance or want to claim against a fringe benefit for an employer provided vehicle)
- Information about foreign tax credits withheld
- Financial statements, if applicable e.g. business income
- Any other relevant material relating to income you received or deductions you want to claim.