The Large Business Centre (LBC) was formed in 2004 offering a more customised service to large business taxpayers. This model has been reviewed and evaluated over the years to improve and optimise its service offerings. During 2015 the LBC function was reviewed to eliminate duplication and improve efficiencies and effectiveness of its business practices. The LBC transitioned to the then new operation model and continued to serve large businesses. However, an assessment of the Large Business operational environment and operating model during the 2017/18 financial year revealed several shortcomings and it was decided to re-establish the Large Business unit with the purpose of ensuring that large business clients receive the dedicated service and enhanced support they require.
Establishment of the SARS Large Business and International Unit
The Large Business and International (LBI) office was launched in December 2018 and provides an end-to-end service to its taxpayers ensuring an elevated focus on its offerings. The Large Business and International office is a centre of excellence that responds effectively to its taxpayers needs which is aligned to international tax administration best practice.
The unit aims to:
- Provide a seamless, integrated and easily accessible contact point with enhanced offerings to its taxpayers,
- Provide certainty to its taxpayers by ensuring a simple and transparent tax administration process.
- Provide awareness to Large Businesses of its tax obligations.
- Ensuring optimal compliance to deliver on its mandate to collect all revenues due.
The value proposition offered by the large business centre is to promote voluntary compliance at the lowest cost to the taxpayer and SARS, with a three-pronged approach consisting of –
- Dedicated relationship management by industry and sector, ensuring that tax teams allocated to the client has specialised knowledge and understanding of the client’s business.
- A highly skilled and professional team with proficiency on multiple tax types for taxpayers with complex tax portfolios, including those operating in multiple tax jurisdictions. To this end, SARS aims to facilitate clarity of the taxpayer’s obligations and improve efficiency in assessments, audits, and dispute resolution processes.
- Centralised management of the taxpayer’s tax compliance requirements across tax types which SARS refers to as a ‘One-stop shop’ end-to-end service. This service provides the taxpayer with seamless interaction with SARS for any tax requirement or query the taxpayer may have, through one relationship management team who manages their entire tax portfolio.
LBI Taxpayer inclusion criteria
- Groups / Companies with turnover greater than R1 billion
- All Stock Exchange Listed Groups / Companies
- All Multinational Enterprises (including all Foreign Electronic Service Providers)
- Financial Services Groups / Companies with turnover greater than R500 million
- Mining Groups / Companies with turnover greater than R500 million
The Large business offices has its footprints in the four main regions, Kwa-Zulu Natal, Eastern Cape, Western Cape with its headquarters located in Woodmead, Johannesburg.
Large Business Centre Gauteng
Woodmead North Office Park,
54 Maxwell Drive,
Large Business Centre Kwa-Zulu Natal
201 Doctor Pixley Kaseme Street
Large Business Centre Eastern Cape
3 Winston Ntshona Street,
Central, Port Elizabeth
Large Business Centre Western Cape
11th Floor, Project 166
22 Hans Strijdom Avenue
Relationship Management has a dedicated team who are the primary contact for all large and international taxpayers.
For more information on Relationship Management including contact details, click here.