SARS will be calling taxpayers
With the intention of making it easier to comply with tax obligations, SARS will assist taxpayers to file their tax returns virtually, either by a telephone or video call. SARS will contact taxpayers by telephone for the following reasons:
- those taxpayers that fall within the category of Auto Assessment,
- taxpayers that choose to file their return via telephone, and
- for Tax Practitioners we offer the ability to file returns via a video collaboration platform.
Category of auto-assessment: With the consent of the taxpayer, a virtual agent will:
- Explain the auto-assessment result to the taxpayer. If the taxpayer agrees to it, the agent will accept the auto-assessment on behalf of the taxpayer; or
- Edit and submit the ITR12 return on behalf of the taxpayer if the taxpayer wishes to amend the return, provided they have the required supporting documents at hand.
- These virtual engagements will be recorded, and taxpayers will be informed thereof.
Category of Telephonic filing of Income Tax return:
With the consent of the taxpayer, a virtual agent will:
- Facilitate and capture any amendments required to the pre-populated assessment and once completed verify and submit on behalf of the taxpayer
- These telephonic engagements will be recorded, and taxpayers will be informed thereof.
Category of Virtual / Video conference filing of Income Tax return – for Tax Practitioners only:
- Based on an appointment slot, a Tax Practitioner can engage with a SARS agent to:
- Facilitate and capture any amendments required to the pre-populated assessment and once completed verify and submit the return.
For the protection of taxpayers, SARS want to ensure you aware of the following:
- The SARS agent will authenticate taxpayers using certain personal details on record with SARS, e.g. confirm Tax and Identity number.
- The SARS agent will never ask for any eFiling login details.
- Taxpayers can ask for the SARS agent employee number, name and surname as well as the case number.
Should you feel uncomfortable with the virtual engagement options, you may still use our digital channels: eFiling or SARS MobiApp to accept your auto-assessment and file your tax return. If you still require a visit to a branch, as a last resort, you may only do so by booking an online appointment.