- The REX is the new system of certification of origin of goods which is based on a principle of self-certification on Statement of Origin (SoO).
- The REX system simplifies export formalities by allowing the registered exporter to certify the preferential origin by including a specific declaration (so-called statements on origin) on the invoice or another commercial document identifying the exported products. Thus, the registered exporter is not obliged to apply upon each export for issue of a certificate of origin.
- The Exporter will be registered by SARS (Trader Registration) as an exporter under the GSP as well as on the Registered Exporter system both manually and electronically. The existing exporters need to be registered on the REX only.
- The system does not impact the rules for determining the origin of goods nor does it require additional changes on the profile of traders.
- The system is accessible via the internet and exporters will be registered once.
The new changes have been incorporated in the rules to Section 46 of the Customs and Excise Act No.91 of 1964 as amended.