FAQ: I own a flat through shares in a share block company. I reside in the flat when on holiday, and rent it out the rest of the year. What will the CGT implications be if I sell my shares in the share block company?

The definition of “an interest” in paragraph 44 of the Eighth Schedule includes a share owned directly in a share block company. The primary residence exclusion can therefore potentially apply to a capital gain or loss on disposal of such shares if the residence is used as a primary residence.
However, in this case the capital gain or loss made on the sale of the shares cannot be disregarded because the flat will not qualify as a primary residence.
One of the basic requirements for a flat to qualify as a primary residence is that the owner, beneficiary of a special trust, or spouse of the owner or beneficiary must ordinarily reside in the home and must use the home for domestic purposes as his or her ordinary residence.

Last Updated:

Share this page on: