Do you have outstanding tax debt and are unable to settle the amount in one payment?
SARS provides for a deferment, or instalment payment arrangement for outstanding tax debt. You may request and enter into an instalment payment arrangement with SARS. It allows you to pay your outstanding debt in one sum or in instalments over time until you have paid your entire debt including applicable interest. This agreement however would be subject to certain qualifying criteria.
A payment arrangement may be requested through:
- SARS eFiling:
- To see the steps on how to make payment arrangements on eFiling, click here.
- Payment arrangement can be made once the debt is outstanding;
- The Contact Centre on 0800 00 7277;
- Email any outstanding debt queries and deferred arrangements requests to [email protected]
- More online contact details.
Criteria for payment arrangements
SARS may enter into a payment agreement only if:
- The taxpayer suffers from a lack of assets or liquidity which is reasonably certain to be remedied in the future;
- The taxpayer anticipates income or other receipts which can be used to satisfy the tax debt;
- Prospects of immediate collection activity are poor or uneconomical but are likely to improve in the future;
- Collection activity would be harsh in the particular case and the deferral or instalment agreement is unlikely to prejudice tax collection;
- The taxpayer provides the security as may be required;
- All outstanding returns and/or recons are submitted.
Tip 1: The payment arrangement must cover the entire debt and SARS may only consider the payment arrangement request when non-compliance has been remedied (i.e. all returns and/or recons are submitted).
Tip 2: If the taxpayer has defaulted on previous payment arrangement, reasonable and valid reasons for the default must be provided before another deferment request can be requested.