SARS Media Release – South African Trade Statistics for June 2013
Pretoria, 31 July 2013 – The South African Revenue Service (SARS) today releases trade statistics for June 2013 that record a trade deficit of R7.71 billion.
The R7.71 billion deficit for June 2013 can be attributed to exports of R68.21 billion and imports of R75.92 billion.
Exports increased from May to June by R2.24 billion (3.4%) and imports decreased from May to June by R1.58 billion (-2.0%).
The cumulative deficit for 2013 is R75.94 billion compared to R51.58 billion in 2012.
Trade Highlights by Category
- The May to June change (up by 3.4%) in exports of goods reflected the following changes:
- Precious and semi-precious stones and metals increased by R1 653 million (13%);
- Mineral products increased by R1 330 million (8%);
- Products of the chemicals or allied industries decreased by R 414 million (-11%);
- The May to June change (down by 2.0%) in imports of goods reflected the following changes:
- Vehicles, aircraft and vessels decreased by R 972 million (-11%);
- Original equipment components decreased by R 444 million (-8%);
- Mineral products decreased by R 425 million (-2%);
- Plastics and rubber and articles thereof decreased by R 407 million (-13%);
- Machinery and electrical appliances increased by R 690 million (4%);
Trade Highlights by World Zone
The world zone results for May to June 2013 as given below are unaudited.
- Asia: The deficit increased from R10 817 million in May 2013 to R12 579 million in June 2013. Exports decreased by R 982 million to R23 197 million and imports increased by R 780 million to R35 775 million.
- Europe: The deficit decreased from R8 922 million in May 2013 to R5 726 million in June 2013. Exports increased by R 632 million to R16 573 million and imports decreased by R2 564 million to R 22 300 million.
- America: The deficit increased from R962 million in May 2013 to R1 132 million in June 2013. Exports increased by R526 million to R 7 889 million and imports increased by R697 million to R9 021 million.
- Africa: The surplus increased from R4 583 million in May 2013 to R6 873 million in June 2013. Exports increased by R1 629 million to R14 226 million and imports decreased by R662 million to R7 353 million.
- Oceania: The deficit increased from R459 million in May 2013 to R629 million in June 2013. Exports increased by R 5 million to R730 million and imports increased by R174 million to R1 358 million.
Trade Statistics table: