PRETORIA, Tuesday 25 June 2019 – With Tax Season a few days away, the South African Revenue Service (SARS) is encouraging taxpayers who are required to file income tax returns to use SARS eFiling or the SARS MobiApp to file their returns from 1 July 2019.
Taxpayers who do not use SARS eFiling or the SARS MobiApp but require the assistance from SARS branch staff to file their income tax returns, will only be able to do so from 1 August 2019. The deadline for taxpayers who file at a SARS branch is 31 October 2019, a much shorter period.
Non-provisional taxpayers who use SARS eFiling and the SARS MobiApp will have a longer period to file their returns, with a deadline of 4 December.
The reason for this staggered approach to Tax Season 2019 is to encourage taxpayers to use the two digital channels, namely SARS eFiling and the SARS MobiApp, which are available 24/7, offers enhanced features and removes the need to queue at a SARS branch.
For 2019 the SARS MobiApp for smart phones, downloadable from the Play Store or App Store, will allow taxpayers to register for SARS eFiling, submit a return, upload supporting documents, retrieve their username or reset their password and view their Notice of Assessment (ITA34), among other services.
The staggered approach to Tax Season 2019 is also necessary because SARS continues to receive more than a million taxpayers at its branches who do not need to file tax returns.
SARS wants to remind taxpayers that not all taxpayers need to file an income tax return. Taxpayers who meet all of the following criteria need not submit a return:
- Their total employment income for the year before tax is not more than R500 000
- They only receive employment income from ONE EMPLOYER for the full tax year
- They have no other form of INCOME (e.g. car allowance, business income, and rental income, taxable interest or income from another job)
- They don’t have any additional allowable tax related deductions to claim (e.g. medical expenses, retirement annuity contributions and travel expenses).
To further assist taxpayers from making unnecessary trips to SARS branches, taxpayers who are not required to file a return and who have repeatedly filed a return in the past will receive a notification from SARS that they do not have to submit a return.
In addition they will receive simulated outcome from SARS as if they had filed a return. The outcome will be based on information that SARS has received from employers and other sources and will who show what the taxpayer could expect as if they had filed a return.
Tax Season Deadlines
- For eFilers and users of the SARS MobiApp, Tax Season opens on 01 July and closes on 04 December 2019
- Taxpayers who go to a SARS branch to file, will be assisted from 01 August until 31 October 2019
- Provisional taxpayers have until 31 January 2020 to file via SARS eFiling.
To access this page in different languages click on the links below: