FAQ: Do I need to register as an importer if I buy personal goods from abroad e.g. from Amazon?

No, you don’t have to register as an importer if you meet certain conditions.
Personal goods can be cleared with Customs under the generic code 70707070. However, you must meet the following conditions:
  • You are allowed only three transactions (of less than R50 000 each) during any calendar year;
  • You are only allowed to import goods for home consumption or personal use, not for resale or any other business;
  • You must be located in South Africa;
  • Your identity number/ Passport number or taxpayer reference number must be entered in the field provided in the declaration form.

Should the purchase falls outside these limitations, you will have to register and obtain an importer or exporter code.

Last Updated:

Share this page on: