Before you start
You will need to check that all the details that we have on your Trust are correct on eFiling.
Before completing your ITR12T, make sure that that the contact, address, banking and public officer details of the Trust are correct by verifying and updating it (if required) on the Registration, Amendments and Verification Form (RAV01) on eFiling.
Top Tip: An ITR12T can be printed before submission, allowing you to check the information filled in is correct. For more information, please consult the current guides, Step by Step Guide to complete your Trust return via eFiling and the Comprehensive Guide to the Income Tax return for Trusts.
To complete the ITR12T, the following relevant material (supporting documents) is needed:
- All certificates and documents relating to income and deductions
- Financial statements and/or administration accounts
- Proof of payment of any tax credits
- Particulars of assets and liabilities
- Details of persons/beneficiaries to whom income, capital and/or assets were distributed/vested.
Supporting schedules needs to be filled in and sent with the ITR12T, if the trust:
- Was involved in mining or mining operations as defined in section 1 of the Income Tax Act, fill in GEN-001 – Mining Schedule
- Held, with any connected person to the trust (e.g. a trust beneficiary), at least 10% of the rights or voting rights in any Controlled Foreign Company (CFC), fill in the:
Please note: A function will be available on eFiling to upload the supporting schedules.
Top Tip: The relevant material (supporting documents) used to fill in the ITR12T, must be kept for a period of five years.
The ITR12T can only be sent:
- Using eFiling. If you aren’t registered for eFiling follow our simple steps. This will allow you to complete and send your ITR12T online in a secure environment 24/7.
- At a SARS branch. Should you visit a SARS branch for assistance, you will need to fill in the fields needed before going to the branch.
When and how to complete the ITR12T?
Depending on how you send your ITR12T to SARS, be sure you know the due date. Income tax returns must be submitted within the following periods:
- in the case of any company, within 12 months from the date on which its financial year ends; or
- in the case of all other persons (which include natural persons, trusts and other juristic persons, such as institutions, boards or bodies):
- on or before 22 October 2020 for SARS branch filing;
- on or before 16 November 2020 for non-provisional taxpayers who use eFiling and the MobiApp;
- on or before 29 January 2021 for provisional taxpayers who use eFiling.