Before you start
You will need to check that all the details that we have on your Trust are correct on eFiling.
Before completing your ITR12T, make sure that that the contact, address, banking and public officer details of the Trust are correct by verifying and updating it (if required) on the Registration, Amendments and Verification Form (RAV01) on eFiling.
Top Tip: An ITR12T can be printed before submission, allowing you to check the information filled in is correct. For more information, please consult the current guides, Step by Step Guide to complete your Trust return via eFiling and the Comprehensive Guide to the Income Tax return for Trusts.
To complete the ITR12T, the following relevant material (supporting documents) is needed:
- All certificates and documents relating to income and deductions
- Financial statements and/or administration accounts
- Proof of payment of any tax credits
- Particulars of assets and liabilities
- Details of persons/beneficiaries to whom income, capital and/or assets were distributed/vested.
Supporting schedules needs to be filled in and sent with the ITR12T, if the Trust:
- Was involved in mining or mining operations as defined in section 1 of the Income Tax Act, fill in GEN-001 – Mining Schedule
- Held, with any connected person to the Trust (e.g. a Trust beneficiary), at least 10% of the rights or voting rights in any Controlled Foreign Company (CFC), fill in the:
Please note: A function will be available on eFiling to upload the supporting schedules.
Top Tip: The relevant material (supporting documents) used to fill in the ITR12T, must be kept for a period of five years.
The ITR12T can only be sent:
- Using eFiling. If you aren’t registered for eFiling follow our simple steps. This will allow you to complete and send your ITR12T online in a secure environment 24/7.
- At a SARS branch. Should you visit a SARS branch for assistance, you will need to fill in the fields needed before going to the branch.
When and how to complete the ITR12T?
Depending on how you send your ITR12T to SARS, be sure you know the due date. Income tax returns must be submitted within the following periods:
- in the case of any company, within 12 months from the date on which its financial year ends; or
- in the case of all other persons (which include natural persons, Trusts and other juristic persons, such as institutions, boards or bodies):
- 1 July 2022 to 24 October 2022
- Taxpayers who file online
- Taxpayers who cannot file online can do so at a SARS branch by appointment only.
- 1 July 2022 to 23 January 2023
- Provisional taxpayers including Trusts may file via eFiling or SARS MobiApp.
- 1 July 2022 to 24 October 2022
- Read more on the types of Trusts
- Read more on how to register as a Trust
- Call the SARS Contact Centre on 0800 00 SARS (7277)
- Visit your nearest SARS branch.
GEN-001 – Mining Schedule – External Form
IT-AE-36-G02 – Comprehensive Guide to the Income Tax return for Trusts – External Guide
IT-AE-37-G02 – Step by Step Guide to complete your Trust return via eFiling – External Guide
IT10A – Controlled Foreign Company Prior 2012 – External Form
IT10B – Schedule Controlled Foreign Company 2012 Onward – External Form
IT144 – Declaration by Donor – External Form
IT3(c) – Certificate of Income re Disposal of Unit Trusts or other Financial Instruments – External Form
IT44 – Extract of Income – External Form
SPPOA – Special Power of Attorney – External Form
TPPOA – Special Power of Attorney to Tax Practitioner – External Form
Frequently Asked Questions
FAQ: When selecting No to the first question “Have the banking, contact and trustee details been confirmed and verified” on the Income Tax Return for Trust (ITR12T), I am unable to continue filling in the ITR12T?
The registered details of the Trust must first be confirmed,...Read More
FAQ: When will the income statement of the Trust be needed, while completing the Income Tax Return for Trusts (ITR12T)?
The income statement of the Trust will only be needed...Read More
FAQ: What amount should be filled in as the “Total value of the outstanding loans granted by the Trust” on the Income Tax Return (ITR12T)?
The total outstanding loan amount for the specific tax year...Read More
FAQ: When must an income tax reference number be filled in on the Income Tax Return for Trusts (ITR12T) for a beneficiary?
Where the taxpayer is an individual, the income tax reference...Read More
FAQ: From which year of assessment can a Trust claim any foreign tax credits in terms of section 6quin on the Income Tax Return for Trusts (ITR12T)?
A Trust can only claim any foreign tax credits in...Read More