8 May 2020 – Two Factor Authentication and Passwordless
Two Factor and Passwordless authentication is an additional security features which allow an eFiling user to access their eFiling profile using push notification technology to a smart device:
- Two Factor Authentication: Allows the user to access their eFiling profile by making use of their username, password and a push notification sent to the SARS Mobile Application, on their smart device.
- Passwordless Authentication: Allows the user access to their eFiling profile by making use of their username and a push notification sent to the SARS Mobile Application, on their smart device.
Please note, to make use of this security feature ensure that:
- The SARS Mobile Application is installed on your smart device and
- Your smart device is be enrolled as the primary device on your eFiling profile.
We realise that you only file your tax once a year so it’s easy to forget your password. So if you’ve forgotten your eFiling password, here’s some more help. It’s simple you can either do it online or over the phone, take your pick.
Online through the eFiling website
On the SARS MobiApp
On the SARS Mobile application, tap on Forgot Password. This will display the Forgot Password page. Complete your username and tap on Next.
This will direct you to the OTP Contact details page. Select your preferred channel, and tap on Send OTP. An OTP will be sent through to your selected channel. Your device will request you to complete the OTP sent though to your preferred channel. Complete the OTP as required and tap on Submit.
Once completed, you will be presented with a screen to complete your new password. Complete your new password on the fields stipulated before tapping on Submit
Top tip: See our guide to the SARS MobiApp.
Calling the Contact Centre
An automated self-service option is available on 0800 00 7277 to reset your password and receive it via sms or email.
Follow these easy steps to have your password reset:
1) Call the SARS Contact Centre on 0800 00 7277.
2) Listen to the available options, and select “If you have forgotten your personal eFiling password”.
3) When asked, enter the following details:
- Tax reference number followed by the hash (#) key.
- South African ID number or company registration number followed by the hash (#) key.
If your contact details have changed you will be transferred to the contact centre agent to help you reset your password.
Top Tip: before you call us have your identity number and tax number at hand.
To access this page in different languages click on the links below: