Need your tax number? Register on eFiling.
If you have forgotten your tax number you can request it from SARS in various ways:
- Send us a query. Please ensure your details match our records.
- You can get it on eFiling if you are registered as an eFiler. All you need to do is log on and check your number.
- You can also request your notice of registration via the MobiApp if you are a registered eFiler.
- eFiling has been updated to allow taxpayers to request the Notice of Registration (IT150) under the ‘SARS Registered Details’ menu option.
- Ask Lwazi ChatBot available on eFiling or the SARS MobiApp.
- Click on the Chatbot icon and type “menu”
- The Chatbot will the present the Personal Income Tax service offerings:
- Request Tax Reference number
- Request Statement of Account
- Request Return Refund Status
- Request Audit Status
- Request Notice of Assessment
- Request SARS to Call back
- Tap on menu option 1 or respond by typing “1”
- The Chatbot will then authenticate your information by asking you for:
- your ID/Passport number and
- cell number or email
Upon successful verification by SARS, a response will be displayed indicating that your Notice of Registration (IT150) has been successfully generated and the IT150 (notice of registration) will be emailed to you.
- SARS SMS Channel by sending an SMS to SARS on 47277 from your mobile device.
- TRN (Space) ID number/Passport number/ Asylum Seeker number
- SARS USSD Channel by typing, on your mobile device, a string of characters which comprises of an asterisk (*), followed by a few digits and ending with a hashtag (#) and dialling.
Steps on how to request tax services via the SARS USSD Channel
- Step 1: Initiate USSD by dialing *134*7277#
- Step 2: Select the service you require
- Step 3: Taxpayer Verification – SARS will request you to complete either your,ID/Passport/Asylum Number
- Step 4: Tax Resolution – Upon successful verification by SARS, a response will be displayed
If you need help to obtain proof of your Income Tax number, watch our helpful tutorial video on the SARS YouTube channel by clicking on the image below.
If you need help using the SMS service, watch our helpful tutorial video on the SARS YouTube channel by clicking on the image below.
Top Tip: SARS will not provide your tax number to another person, unless the person is your tax practitioner or has power of attorney to conduct your tax affairs.
To access this page in different languages click on the links below: