What is it?
Who is it for?
- A return levypayer (i.e. a registered person who makes payment of the levy on the basis of periodic return as contemplated in Section 5(1) of the Administration Act) will pay the levy in line with the stipulations of Section 5(1) of the Diamond Export Levy (Administration)
- A holder of a permit is regarded as a direct levypayer (a person who does not qualify for registration under Section 2(1) of the Administration Act or is a person contemplated in Section 5(1A) of that Act) and will make payment of the levy before exporting the unpolished diamonds from South Africa
What steps must I take?
- Completion of six-monthly excise accounts, even if a “nil return / account “ is to be made.
- Before application for registration begins, the Applicant must get relevant Permits / Licences from the Regulator in Johannesburg.
What is the export rate of duty and what is the aim of the Diamond Export Levy?
- Promote the development of the local economy by encouraging the local diamond industry to process (cut, polish etc.) diamond(s) locally;
- Develop Skills; and
- Create employment
How do I submit my Diamond Export Levy return?
All clients must be registered for eFiling as the submission and payment of returns can only be made via eFiling. The following process should be followed:
- Register on eFiling;
- Once registered, log on;
- Click on the Request Declaration button;
- Click on Continue and the form will be generated.
If clients are not able to access the eFiling service, they must contact the nearest SARS Excise Branch Office for assistance.
When and how should it be paid?
The Act provides for six-monthly payments, i.e. twice per Financial Year. The Financial period depends on whether it is a natural person or juristic person e.g. Business.
Return levy payers will pay the levy in line with the stipulations of Section 5(1) of the Diamond Export Levy (Administration) Act. A holder of a permit is regarded as a direct levy payer and will make payment of the levy before exporting the unpolished diamond(s) from the Republic.