20 April 2021 – Find useful information on the tax obligations relating to Small, Micro, and Medium Enterprises (SMMEs):
What is it?
Turnover tax is a simplified system aimed at making it easier for micro business to meet their tax obligations. The turnover tax system replaces Income Tax, VAT, Provisional Tax, Capital Gains Tax and Dividends Tax for micro businesses with a qualifying annual turnover of R 1 million or less. A micro business that is registered for turnover tax can, however, elect to remain in the VAT system (from 1 March 2012).
Turnover tax is worked out by applying a tax rate to the taxable turnover of a micro business. Year of assessment ending on any date between 1 March 2021 and 28 February 2022:
|Turnover (R)||Rate of tax (R)|
|0 – 335 000||0%|
|335 001 – 500 000||1% of each R1 above 335 000|
|500 001 – 750 000||1 650 + 2% of the amount above 500 000|
|750 001 and above||6 650 + 3% of the amount above 750 000|
Who is it for?
- Individuals (sole proprietors)
- Close corporations
How to register?
How to submit?
The following channel can be used to submit Turnover Tax returns:
- Posting the return to SARS Processing centre: PO Box 436, Pretoria, 0001
How to pay?
- 1st payment is in the middle of the tax year on the last business day of August i.e. 29 August 2014 on the TT02 – Payment Advice for Turnover Tax
- 2nd payment is at the end of the tax year on the last business day of February i.e. 27 February 2015 on the TT02 – Payment Advice for Turnover Tax
- Final payment is after the annual TT03 – Turnover Tax Return is submitted and processed. The submission of TT03 turnover tax returns is in line with the submission of the annual income tax returns, between 1 July and 31 January of the following year.
What records should be kept?
1. Records of all amounts received;2. Records of dividends declared;3. A list of each asset with a cost price of more than R10,000 at the end of the year of assessment as well as of liabilities exceeding R10,000.
- Recordkeeping workbook for individuals and partnerships
- Recordkeeping workbook for close corporations, companies and cooperatives
To access this page in different languages click on the links below: