Filing Season 2023 for Individuals
- Filing Season 2023 starting date: Filing Season 2023 is starting 7 July 2023. More information to follow.
- Pre-population of ITR12 Third Party Data in preparation for the opening of Filing Season 2023: Please be advised that in preparation for the opening of the Personal Income Tax Filing Season in July 2023, between the period of 2 June 2023 until the opening of Filing Season, there is a possibility that the prepopulated data reflecting within your Personal Income Tax or Provisional Tax returns requested via eFiling, the SARS Mobi application or via a SARS Branch Office during this period, will pre-populate but may not be comprehensive until Filing Season is officially opened to the public.
No need to call
Taxpayers, your tax matters are in better hands when you make use of eFiling or the SARS MobiApp. Register your profile now to ensure a smooth filing experience. No need to call us, you can register online or download the MobiApp on your phone or tablet. To make an appointment with SARS is now easier, you can click here to make an appointment, send an SMS to request a booking or call the SARS Contact Centre on 0800 00 7277 and select option 0 (zero). A SARS official will book the appointment on your behalf.
You may also visit our Mobile Tax Units and pop-ups in the different regions, see the schedule here.
You can send us a query via SARS Online Query System (SOQS) if you have forgotten your tax reference number, to submit supporting material and more. The SARS Online Query System (SOQS) assists taxpayers who wish to raise queries with SARS without going into a SARS branch. To initiate a query, you will simply need to complete the online form by selecting a Query Type. For more information, see SARS Online Query System – External Guide.
SARS SMS Channel
Taxpayers can request specific Personal Income Tax related services by sending an SMS to SARS on 47277. The following additional tax related services are offered to taxpayers via their mobile device. These services can be accessed with or without data/airtime:
- Request an eBooking appointment
- Booking (Space) ID number/Passport number/ Asylum Seeker number
- Confirmation request to determine whether to submit a (PIT) tax return
- File (Space) ID number/Passport number/ Asylum Seeker number
- Request the issuing of the IT150 (Tax Registration Number)
- TRN (Space) ID number/Passport number/ Asylum Seeker number
- Request Account related queries (balance statements) and/or provision of Statement of the Account (SOA)
- Balance (Space) ID number/Passport number/ Asylum Seeker number
For more detail, see the Guide to SARS Mobile Tax Services or see our tutorial video on how to use the SMS services.
SARS USSD Channel
You can now request specific Personal Income Tax related services by submitting a USSD string to SARS. The USSD channel activation involves you typing a string of characters which comprises of an asterisk (*), followed by a few digits and ending with a hashtag (#) and dialling.
The following services are available on this channel:
- What’s my Tax number?
- Request Account balance
- Do I need to file a tax return?
- Request an e-Booking appointment
Steps on how to request tax services via the SARS USSD Channel
- Step 1: Initiate USSD by dialing *134*7277#
- Step 2: Select the service you require
- Step 3: Taxpayer Verification – SARS will request you to complete either your,ID/Passport/Asylum Number
- Step 4: Tax Resolution – Upon successful verification by SARS, a response will be displayed
For more detail, see the Guide to SARS Mobile Tax Services.
- Our online service Help you eFile is available. The SARS YouTube channel as well as this website provide detailed guidance on how to file. If you have no other choice but to visit a SARS branch by appointment to assist you.
- If you have forgotten your password you can reset it online through the eFiling website by clicking on Forgot Password or Forgot Username.
- Not sure whether you must submit an Income Tax Return (ITR12)? Answer the simple questions on our Do you need to submit a return webpage.
- If you are not sure whether you meet the requirements to claim home office expenses complete our easy questionnaire. For more information click here.
- If you need help to submit your Personal Income Tax Return, watch our helpful tutorial video on the SARS YouTube channel by clicking on the image below:
- To view a helpful tutorial on what to do when your Income Tax Return (ITR12) has been rejected by SARS on eFiling, due to a directive click on the image below:
- Click on the image below to view a helpful tutorial on what to do when your Income Tax Return (ITR12) has been rejected by SARS on eFiling, due to a duplicate IRP5:
- To see all current SARS surveys, emails and SMSs, click here.
Administration of Deceased Estates – SARS 2022
ASPOA – Authority on Special Power of Attorney by Tax Practitioner – External Form
CRA01 – Confirmation of Residential or Business Address for Online Completion – External Form
GEN-BO-09-G01-Book an Appointment at a SARS Branch External Guide
GEN-ELEC-06-G01 – Guide to Help You eFile – External Guide
GEN-ELEC-15-G02 – A Step by Step guide to the Auto Merge Function on eFiling – External Guide
GEN-ELEC-18-G01 – How to Register for eFiling and Manage Your User Profile – External Guide
GEN-ENR-01-G09 – How to view submitted third party data returns or data files via eFiling – External Guide
GEN-PT-01-G01 – Guide for Provisional Tax – External Guide
GEN-PT-01-G02 – How to eFile your Provisional Tax Return – External Guide
GEN-REG-01-G04 – How to Complete the Registration Amendments and Verification Form RAV01 – External Guide
IT-AE-36-G05 – Comprehensive Guide to the ITR12 Income Tax Return for Individuals – External Guide
IT-AE-36-G06 – How to submit your individual income tax return via eFiling – External Guide
IT-AE-45-G01 – Guide to SARS Mobile Tax Services – External Guide
IT-AE-46-G01 – How to submit your individual Income Tax return via the SARS MobiApp – External Guide
IT-AE-47-G01 – How to register for the use of the SARS MobiApp – External Guide
IT-AE-48-G01 – How to make payments to SARS via the SARS MobiApp – External Guide
IT-AE-49-G01 – Services offered via the SARS MobiApp – External Guide
IT-GEN-06-G01 – Guide to the Individual ITR12 Return for Deceased and Insolvent Estates – External Guide
IT-PT-AE-01-G02 – How to eFile your Provisional Tax Return – External Guide
ITR-DD – Confirmation of Diagnosis of Disability – External Form
LAPD-IT-G01 – Guide on Income Tax and the Individual
SPPOA – Special Power of Attorney – External Form
TPPOA – Special Power of Attorney to Tax Practitioner – External Form
Frequently Asked Questions
FAQ: I don’t see my IRP5 on my return?
If you have requested your IRP5 or IT3(a) certificate from...Read More
FAQ: What must I do if my IRP5/IT3(a) information for my lump sum is not on my Income Tax Return (ITR12)?
If the ‘Transaction Year’ and the ‘Year of assessment’ differs...Read More
FAQ: What are S11F annual allowable deductions?
You are entitled to a deduction, under section 11F, of...Read More
FAQ: How long is my certificate of residence valid for?
A certificate of residence is only valid for a period...Read More
FAQ: What are the requirement for a certificate of residence to be issued to me?
The following are requirements for a certificate of residence: :-...Read More
FAQ: How do I apply for a certificate of residence?
Where the South African resident rendered services or received income...Read More
FAQ: Do I have to be registered for Income tax to obtain a certificate of residence?
A person or partner in partnership (partner) must be registered...Read More
FAQ: How do I know that I fall within the definition of a resident?
a) The definition of resident refers to a natural person...Read More
FAQ: I am currently employed by an overseas company who requires confirmation of my South African residency how do I obtain this?
The country where a SA resident rendered services or received...Read More
FAQ: Why am I being routed to the old SARS eFiling site?
Users identified to have multiple eFiling usernames associated their ID...Read More