There are three ways to register for tax:
1. Auto registration for Personal Income Tax:
When you register for SARS eFiling for the first time and you do not have a tax reference number, SARS will automatically register you and issue a tax reference number. Note that you must have a valid South African ID.
Follow these easy steps to register on eFiling:
1. Click on Register
2. Follow the prompts
You can also register for SARS eFiling on the SARS MobiApp and follow the same steps.
Need help to register on eFiling? If you need help to register for Income Tax, watch our helpful tutorial video on the SARS YouTube channel by clicking on the image below:
2. Register through your Employer via SARS eFiling:
SARS eFiling offers the SARS registration function which allows employers to submit employee income tax registrations to SARS. For more information, see the Guide on Tax Reference Number (TRN) Enquiry Services on eFiling.
3. Request an eBooking appointment with SARS:
If you are NOT registered for tax yet, kindly note:
- You must have an appointment first before going to a SARS branch;
- The ONLY way to make an appointment if you are NOT registered yet, is to
call the SARS Contact Centre on 0800 00 7277 and select option 0 (zero). A SARS official will book the appointment on your behalf.
The following two eBooking appointment channels are ONLY available if you are already registered for tax:
- Send an SMS to 47277 (iSARS) with the information and format described below:
- Booking (Space) ID number/Passport number/ Asylum Seeker number
- This SMS service is only available to taxpayers/registered representatives who are registered for Personal Income Tax (PIT). This service is not available to tax practitioners. Read more.
- Request an appointment through the online eBooking form before you visit a branch. Make sure you take along the necessary supporting documents.
Unsure whether you are registered or not?
Ask your Employer, or use the SARS online Query function or call our SARS Contact Centre on 0800 00 7277.
Request a Notice of Registration (IT150)
A Notice of Registration (IT150) will reflect your tax reference number. You can request a notice of registration through the following channels:
- eFiling: Once logged in to eFiling click on the “Notice of registration” icon on the ‘Home’ page to obtain your IT150.
- SMS: Request the issuing of the IT150 (Tax reference number) by sending an SMS to SARS on 47277.
- TRN (Space) ID number/Passport number/ Asylum Seeker number
- You can also request your notice of registration via the MobiApp if you are a registered eFiler.
- Send us a query. Please ensure your details match our records.
If you need help to obtain proof of your Income Tax reference number, watch our helpful tutorial video on the SARS YouTube channel by clicking on the image below:
In July 2022, SARS will auto register certain individuals based on information from third parties. This is to ensure that all unregistered individuals, for which third party data is available, will be in a position to complete their income tax returns. An individual who is auto registered will receive an SMS and a letter from SARS notifying him or her of the registration and informing him or her of how to access SARS’s services and what his or her rights and obligations are.