You have three options to register for tax:
1. Automatic registration for Personal Income Tax
When you register for SARS eFiling for the first time and you do not have a tax reference number, SARS will automatically register you and issue a tax reference number. You must have a valid South African ID to register for eFiling.
To register on eFiling:
1. Click on Register
2. Follow the prompts
You can also register for SARS eFiling on the SARS MobiApp and follow the same steps.
If you need help to register for eFiling, watch our tutorial video on the SARS YouTube channel by clicking on the image below.
Ask your employer to register you with SARS. eFiling lets employers register their employees with SARS for Income Tax. See the Guide on Tax Reference Number (TRN) Enquiry Services on eFiling.
3. Register at a SARS branch office
You can visit a SARS branch, where a service consultant can help you register for tax. Click here to find your nearest SARS branch.
Note: When visiting a branch, remember to bring these supporting documents.
Unsure if you are registered?
To find out if you are registered for Income Tax, ask your Employer, use the SARS Online Query System (select “What’s my tax number?” as your query type), or call the SARS Contact Centre on 0800 00 7277.
Request a Notice of Registration (IT150)
A Notice of Registration (IT150) will show your tax reference number. You can request a notice of registration through any of these options:
- SMS SARS on 47277 from your phone. Type TRN followed by a space and your ID number/passport number/asylum-seeker number.
- Send us a query. Your details need to match our records.
- Request your notice of registration on the SARS MobiApp if you are a registered eFiler.
- Use eFiling to request the IT150 by choosing the “SARS Registered Details” menu option.
- Ask Lwazi ChatBot available on eFiling or the SARS MobiApp.
- Click on the Chatbot icon and type “Hello”
- Type “Menu”
- The Chatbot will the present these Personal Income Tax services:
- Request Tax Reference Number
- Request Statement of Account
- Request Return Refund Status
- Request Audit Status
- Request Notice of Assessment
- Request SARS to Call Back
- Tap on menu option 1 or respond by typing “1”
- Lwazi will then authenticate your information by asking you for:
- Your ID/passport number
- Cellphone number or email
- Once SARS has verified your details, Lwazi will confirm that your Notice of Registration (IT150) has been generated and will be emailed to you.
- Visit a SARS branch. Remember to make an appointment before you visit a branch.
Since July 2022, SARS automatically registers certain individuals for income tax based on information from third parties. Automatically registered individuals will receive an SMS and a letter from SARS notifying them of their registration. The letter also explains how to access SARS’s services and lists their rights and obligations.