Register as a taxpayer

Registering for tax via eFiling

When you register for SARS eFiling for the first time and you do not yet have a personal income tax number, SARS will automatically register you and issue a tax reference number. Note that you must have a valid South African ID. See the easy steps to register for eFiling and register for Personal Income Tax automatically.

Registering for tax in the SARS branch 

Kindly note that the ‘IT77 registration form for Individuals’ was discontinued. If you are not able to register on eFiling, you may visit a SARS branch.  

Before you go to the branch, make sure you have all the supporting documents and to make an appointment.

The following supporting documents are required:

1) Proof of Identity:

  • Certified or uncertified copies of a valid identity document, driving licence, passport, temporary identity document, asylum seekers certificate or permit together with the original identification (Identity document includes the green barcoded book and the smart ID card)
  • In the instance where a taxpayer is a minor, a certified or uncertified copy of the birth certificate of the minor together with a copy of the one of the parent’s/guardian’s identity document. If there is no surviving parent, the death certificate of one parent must be provided by the appointed guardian.

2) Proof of Address:

The table below provides a list of documents that will be accepted by SARS as proof of residential or business address.

The document must clearly show the taxpayers name (either initials and surname or first names(s) and surname) and the physical address.

Document description​ ​Validity period
​1.1 ​Utility account i.e. rates and taxes, water or electricity account ​Less than 3 months old
​1.2 ​Educational Institution account ​Less than 3 months old
​1.3 ​Co-op statement (for farmers) ​​Less than 3 months old
​1.4 ​Medical aid statement ​​Less than 3 months old
​1.5 ​Mortgage statement from mortgage lender ​​Less than 6 months old
​1.6 ​Telephone account (All networks) ​​Less than 3 months old
1.7​ ​e-Toll account ​Less than 3 months old
​1.8 ​SABC television licence ​Less than 1 year old
1.9 ​Retail accounts (e.g. Woolworths, Edgars, etc.) ​Less than 3 months old
​2.1 ​Motor vehicle licence documents ​Less than 1 year old
​2.2 ​Court order ​​Less than 3 months old
​2.3 ​Subpoena ​​Less than 3 months old
​2.4 ​Traffic fine ​​Less than 3 months old
​2.5 ​Documentation relating to UIF or pension pay-out ​​Less than 3 months old
​3.1 ​Life assurance document ​​Less than 1 year old
​3.2 ​Short-term insurance document ​​Less than 1 year old
​3.3 ​Health insurance document ​​Less than 1 year old
​3.4 ​Funeral policy document ​​Less than 1 year old
​3.5 ​Investment statement from share, portfolio or unit trust ​​Less than 1 year old
​4.1 ​Current and valid agreement

  The Confirmation of Entity Residential/Business Address form (CRA01) must be filled in:

  • Where proof of residence is in the name of a third party (e.g. in someone other than the taxpayer name) the CRA01 must be filled in. Please note that proof of address of the third party must be attached to the CRA01.
  • A letter or the CRA01 must be filled by the Chief or Councillor if a taxpayer lives in an area where municipal account aren’t issued. The taxpayer must get a letter from the Councillor in the area they live in. The Chief or Councillor doesn’t need to provide proof of residence or ID if the letter or CRA01 is for a third party. 
  • If an entity has only one director/member that is also the representative taxpayer and the business is trading from the representative taxpayer’s address, proof of residential address is needed. Where there is more than one member/director and the business is trading from one of the member/director’s addresses, the CRA01 needs to be filled in by another member/director.   
  • Here is the form: CRA01 – Confirmation of Residential or Business Address for Online Completion – External Form. Remember certain mandatory information must be filled in before you will be able to print the form.

3) Proof of Bank Details:

  • Original letter from bank not older than one month (30 days), confirming the account holder’s legal name; account number, account type; branch code and the date on which the account was opened; or
  • Original bank statement or ATM / Internet generated statement or an eStamped statement not more than three months old that confirms the account holder’s legal name, bank name, account number, account type and branch code, where applicable, or where a new bank account was opened and a bank statement cannot be produced, an original letter from the bank not older than one month on the bank letterhead with the original bank stamp reflecting the date the bank account was opened; or
  • If the wife/husband does not have a bank account and chooses to use his/her spouse’s banking details, a certified copy of the marriage certificate is required. In instances of a Life Partner, an affidavit must be provided.

Once you’ve been registered and given your tax number you can then register for eFiling, which is a free and convenient way of interacting with SARS.

All you need is a computer and internet access. As a registered eFiler you will then be able to submit your tax return online, make payments to SARS etc.

To access this page in different languages click on the links below:

Table of Contents

Last Updated: