What's New?

  • 7 May 2020 - Enhancement to Tax Type Transfer Process

    The Tax Type Transfer process for Personal Income Tax and Provisional Tax has been enhanced to enable ease of transfer of tax types between taxpayers, tax practitioners and registered representatives on eFiling.
    With this enhancement the approval lies directly with the Taxpayer (owner of the PIT) or the Registered Representative of the PIT, to transfer the tax type to the requestor.
The taxpayer/registered representative for that tax type will receive a sms/ email and must approve the transfer request by:
  • Visit www.sars.gov.za
  • Select ‘Manage Tax Type Transfer’ in the SARS eFiling space
  • Complete the online form by capturing ID/ Passport number and tax reference number
  • An OTP will be sent to the taxpayer to capture
  • An online POA will be presented to the taxpayer to ‘Accept’ or ‘Decline’ the transfer request.
A notification will be sent to the requestor once the taxpayer has ‘Accepted’ or ‘Declined’ the transfer request.

Please note:
  • Transfers for PIT are no longer dependent on the holding user releasing
  • Transfers will be immediately cancelled if we are not able to verify the identity of the requested taxpayer.
  • In the case of a Deceased estate, the Registered Representative (usually the Executor) becomes responsible for any notices and approvals.
A tax type transfer will be disallowed if the requestor is not a registered tax practitioner or the registered representative for the requesting taxpayer.


Client Information System for registered tax practitioners

With Client Information System (Single registration), tax practitioners (registered and confirmed with a Recognised Controlling Body (RCB) and SARS) are able to:

Top Tip: If you aren't registered and confirmed with a RCB and SARS, you will be limited in the services you can perform on eFiling. 

Please note: Some tax practitioners may receive a new tax practitioner reference number, both the old and new numbers may be used. See Tax Practitioner Number for more information.

Enhancements for registered representatives

With Client Information System (Single registration), there is a simple way that the activation of registered representatives (e.g. Public Officers) can be done:
  • By the Public Officer or registered representative themselves on eFiling.
Registered representatives (e.g. Public Officers) are now able to:
  • Activate themselves as registered representatives on eFiling, if their details have previously correctly been recorded on the SARS system.
    • Logon to eFiling
    • Click
      • “Organisations” and then “SARS Registered Details”.
      • "Activate Registered User".

Please note: Large Businesses will need to contact Large Business directly.

What can a registered representative do on eFiling?

As a designated representative of an entity, or a registered tax practitioner, you can activate a registered user role which allows you to view and maintain all registered details for that client. The user access rights are summarised below:
Access Level                                                                
Non-registered eFiling user with Customs & Excise, PAYE and VAT access                
Non-registered user
Income Tax access    
Registered User
(Registered Tax 
- Maintain product level registered details
- Maintain entity details
- Submit new tax type registration application
- Maintain representative details

Top Tip: A client can visit a SARS branch and ask an agent to merge the various tax types to the company/entity’s profile, giving a single view of the company/entity profile. Please note – LBC clients will have to do this through the LBC.

Need Help?



Last Updated: 29/05/2020 12:09 PM     print this page
SARS eFiling eFiling Login eFiling Register Now eFiling Forgot Password eFiling Forgot Username E@syFile

 Top FAQs

Should I be registered on a “Tax Practitioner” profile or on an “Organisation” profile?
It’s simple really as you’re a registered practitioner you should register on a “Tax Practitioner” profile.

Some Tax Practitioners have tried to “activate registered user” and receive a reply that the Tax practitioner couldn’t be linked. What are the causes and how do you rectify this situation?
Check the following: The PR number is correct The ID number matches what is captured on the SARS systems.

How do I link a newly registered client to my profile?
You can add a new client by registering the client in the Register New section under the Organisation on the tax practitioner eFiling profile.

What do I do if the system tells me that I am not the register practitioner for this client?
You must ensure that your details are recorded at SARS as the registered practitioner or representative of the client.

What should I do if I don’t have access to Income Tax but I’m responsible for submitting the VAT and Payroll Taxes (PAYE,SDL and/or UIF) of a client? Can I still submit the VAT and Payroll Taxes Declarations?
Yes, you will still be able to submit declarations for VAT and Payroll Taxes if you have these tax types activated on your eFiling profile for the specific client.