Filing Season 2021 for Individuals
Individual income tax return filing dates
Individual filing opening
Taxpayers, your turn to file your tax return starts on 1 July this year. The good news is that a significant number of individual taxpayers will be auto-assessed again this year, and this process will start in July. No need to call us, we will send you an SMS if you are selected to be auto-assessed. If you accept your auto-assessment, any under or overpayment of tax will be processed as normal. If you want to edit your return, you can file your return on eFiling or the SARS MobiApp. See our leaflet on how to prepare for the 2021 Filing Season.
No need to call
Taxpayers, your tax matters are in better hands when you make use of eFiling
or the SARS MobiApp
. Register your profile now to ensure a smooth filing experience. No need to call us, you can register online
or download the MobiApp
on your phone or tablet.
We have made it easier for you
Taxpayers, your tax matters, we continue to make it easier for you to comply. Starting July, we will be assessing a significant number of taxpayers automatically. If you accept the outcome you do not have to file a tax return at all. We auto-assess based on the data we receive from employers, financial institutions, medical schemes, retirement annuity fund administrators and other 3rd party data providers. If you have not yet received your IRP5/IT3(a)s and other tax certificates like medical certificate, retirement annuity fund certificate and other 3rd party data that are relevant in determining your tax obligations, you should immediately approach your employer or medical scheme or retirement annuity fund or other 3rd party data providers to make sure that they have complied with their submission requirements.
Starting July you can view the auto-assessment by:
See more info on Auto Assessment.
What to prepare before filing starts
Now is a good time to get your tax matters ready to ensure a smooth filing experience! Make sure that you have received your IRP5/IT3(a)s and other tax certificates like medical certificate, retirement annuity fund certificate and any other 3rd party data that are relevant in determining your tax obligations. Reset your eFiling username and password if you have forgotten them
. Update your personal information such as banking details, address and contact details online on eFiling
or the SARS MobiApp
See the prototype/example ITR12 form – coming soon.
Making it easy for taxpayers
Through the increased use of third-party data, SARS will be completing your tax return for you more accurately than ever. Where we have the required information, we will provide you with a proposed assessment without the need to file a tax return. This enables you to view, accept or edit your proposed assessment from the comfort of your home or place of work using eFiling
or SARS MobiApp
Follow us on Social Media for daily Tax Tips or keep an eye on this webpage for all the information.
Auto registration for Personal Income Tax:
When you register for SARS eFiling for the first time and you do not yet have a personal income tax number, SARS will automatically register you and issue a tax reference number. Note that you must have a valid South African. Read more.
- Our online service Help you eFile is available. The SARS YouTube channel as well as this website provide detailed guidance on how to file. If you have no other choice but to visit a SARS branch by appointment to assist you to file, you can do so until 23 November 2021.
- If you have forgotten your password you can reset it by calling our SARS Contact Centre and following a simple procedure. See our simple self-service process.
- Not sure whether you must submit an Income Tax Return (ITR12)? Answer the simple questions on our Do you need to submit a return webpage.
- If you are not sure whether you meet the requirements to claim home office expenses complete our easy questionnaire. For more information click here.
- If you need help to submit your Personal Income Tax Return, watch our helpful tutorial video on the SARS YouTube channel by clicking on the image below.